Friday, January 9, 2009

What is Wrong with Today's Kids?

I just came back from having lunch with my oldest daughter. And boy did my blood pressure rise. She tells me about how rude the 6th graders are all the time and I have seen it for myself. Today several boys at the lunch table started cussing. Let me tell you people - I did not hold my peace. I came unglued! Needless to say, I've probably made an enemy or 2. Not only did I jump all over them - I told one of the teachers.

What is wrong with today's kids? Let me tell you what's wrong - It's the P-A-R-E-N-T-S! If those kids are talking like that - then you know they are hearing it at home. If they are being disrespectful at school - they are being taught that at home. My children know that if they ever act like that at school and I find out about it - they will be disciplined! I will not put up with that type of behavior.

I'm not the best parent there is. Believe me, I fall short in many areas. But God gave us our children and we have a job to do. Many parents are scared of what their child might do if they discipline them, but I have 3 words for those type parents - Do It Anyway! Don't let your tween or teenager rule the roost! You are the parents - not them. If we discipline our children the way God wants us to, then I believe our children will grow up and contribute to society the way they're supposed to. It is hard - I know. There are times I throw up my hands and say "Okay God - now what?"
My husband went to school with Sarah for a Father/Daughter day last school year and came home shaking his head. He said he didn't know how anyone learns anything because the teacher was continually stopping to correct a child. The schools have no control over the children because the parents do not have control of them.
I could go on about the public school system, but I'll save that for another time.
God help us as parents to teach our children respect for others. And help us to live our lives as an example of you so that our children will always live for you.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more. It saddens me to see what todays youth is. I don't know when or where it all started to go so wrong but I do know that I make sure my kids do better. I would love to see an uprising of parent who say enough is enough. Pick up your pants and put your hat on right kid!

    ReplyDelete