Monday, August 17, 2009

My attempt at bread making...




One of my goals in life is to be a very frugal shopper for groceries and find cheaper ways of cooking. But in all the hussle and bussle of life, it's been rather hard for me to break down and cut out convenience foods. But here of late, I've forced myself to at least try. So, today, I decided to bake a loaf of bread since we had no store bought bread left. I have several recipes and recently got a book called "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day". I can't wait to try those breads, but still need to purchase a few items before I can. So, to save $ and still have baked bread, I baked a loaf today. The total cost for all ingredients was about $10.00. The flour alone will last for 7 loaves and all other ingredients will last much longer, so my guess is that I probably spent around $1.25 to make a loaf. However, it is half the size of a store bought loaf of bread so will only last for one round of sandwiches. So $2.50 for a full loaf? That's a little less than the brand I normally buy so I am saving a little, but not much considering I'm also using electricity to bake it.

The bread turned out beautifully and is way more delicious than store bought bread. It also has less ingredients and no preservatives. So, I guess I'll continue to make bread now and then, but to heat up my kitchen for one little loaf doesn't seem worth it to me. But, maybe with the artisan style bread, I'll change my mind. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment