Thursday, September 30, 2010

Just Ask

For several months, I've been grumbling about my monthly bank fee.  Is it much?  No.  It is $12 a month, but that adds up to $240 a year.  That's enough to buy a bill of groceries in my household.   Of course, I could waive that fee if I kept $1500 at all times in the bank.  Yeah right! 

Several weeks ago, I received an advertisement in the mail from my bank saying that if I opened an account, had direct deposit and made five debit card purchases a month, there would be no service charge.  This irritated me because I do not need a second checking account from the same bank, and I already met the requirements.  But, I did nothing for weeks except grumble every time the fee was taken out. 

Tuesday, I had a deposit to make at my bank so I decided to go in and talk to them about this.  I expected them to state that the "free checking" was only for new customers.  I went in all prepared to argue my point.  I've been a customer of this bank for many years and have a good standing relationship with them.  Why am I being penalized, but new customers get perks? 

It turned out the opposite.  The man whom I spoke with was very nice and just switched my account to "free checking". 

I have learned and am still learning that if I want something done around the house, even if it is blatantly obvious that it needs to be done, I still have to ask someone to take care of it.  Many times, I've confronted my husband about something and his response was, "You didn't ask!".  I would have saved some hurt feelings just by asking him to take care of it.  Believe me, I'm still working on that one. 

My point is, all I had to do was ask.  It was that simple.  I could have saved myself money and a bad attitude towards my bank just by asking.  How many times do we grumble and complain about little things when all we have to do is ask our heavenly Father to take care of it.  He hears us.  Are we talking to Him?  Does this mean, we always get what we want?  He knows what's best for us and sometimes He says no.  But, we might save some grumbling just by asking! 

Are you asking?

Ask and it shall be given you; seek and ye shall find; knock,  and it shall be opened unto you: For ever one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
Matthew 7: 7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment