Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day Memories

This past Mother's Day weekend was one of the best I've had.  We took our children out of school (I know - big gasp!)  for Thursday and Friday.  We've never done it before and since next school year, they'll all be homeschooled, the whole idea of skipping school will take on a different meaning.  So, my children needed at least one memory of "skipping school", right? 

For Thursday, we attended the Homeschool Day at Six Flags.  I must say that it was a very pleasant experience.  Although there are always going to be those that are "radical" in the way they talk and dress, for the most part, people were kind, and not so skimpily dressed, that we had to put blinders on! 

Friday was the annual Homeschool Book Fair which we also attended.  I finally made up my mind for most of the curriculum we will use for 2011/2012.  The only thing left undone is the History curriculum and that is because I have not reviewed it yet.  I have my eye on one in particular, but have not been able to get my grubby hands on a copy.  But, at the book fair, I found out that a store in this area has that book.  So, in the next few weeks, I will check it out and make up my mind on that.   My children enjoyed the book fair, well, all except my youngest who was bored!  My youngest son played three rounds of chess and won every game.  If we'd gone both days he could have played in the tournament.   My oldest was in book heaven.  He's one that always has his nose in a book. 

Friday afternoon, we packed up and headed to a state park to spend the weekend.  The really nice part of the whole camping trip was the fact that I did no cooking whatsoever.  My children did all the cooking.  I spent the whole weekend lazing around, reading (finished two books) and taking naps (something unheard of).

While I totally enjoyed my weekend, there was a sadness to it.   The fact that we couldn't call up my mother-in-law and wish her a happy Mother's Day made this day a little hard on both my hubby and I.    I'll never forget sending her flowers last year for Mother's Day, not realizing that it would be the last time.  I am glad we were able to to make memories with her.  My children loved her and will hold those memories dear as they grow up. 

Making memories, hopefully good ones, is what our children will remember.  I hope that this weekend will be one of those that our children will talk about for years.  Maybe this will become a yearly tradition!

No comments:

Post a Comment